Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Observations... From Germany

Some people mentioned to me how much they liked the “Observations” blog entry I did when I was in Budapest, Hungary so I felt that I should also do one for Germany. Since Adam has lived in Germany for a year, I was aware of some of the observations I have listed below, before I left for this trip. Daily task and such are not as surprising since Adam gave me a good pre-departure orientation for Germany : ) Thanks Adam!

So here are my observations so far…

- When one comes to the office in the morning it is customary to shake everyone’s hand and say “Guten Morgen”

- If you want ice cream in a cone you must have it for take away

- It is customary to say “Mahlzeit” just before and after lunch to your colleagues, the direct translation of the word is “Meal Time”, I just don’t get this one...

- Most German companies do not have voicemail I also do not get this one…

- Germany loves gravy on everything, it is commonly referred to as brown sauce

- There are the same number of cell phone contracts as the number of people living in Germany, more even more

- Cell phones are referred to as “Handy’s”

- Germany is very talented with parking many cars in the smallest amount of space possible (ie. a five-storey parking garage along a bridge, a revolving two level personal parking garage for a house)

- The water used to make beer is better then the water they serve for drinking

- Germany loves to mix beer with anything, lemonade, coke, berry syrup and even banana juice (Although I haven’t tried beer with banana juice, beer and coke is my favourite so far)

- There is a person in my office who still uses a typewriter!

- The older your car in the LESS you pay in insurance

- German television dubs everything… and the movies too (It is quite funny to listen to Paris Hilton with a German accent)

- A lot of things in Germany have touch sensors (ie. Vending machines, toilets, subway doors, ticket booths and crosswalk request buttons)

- It rains a lot in Germany!! (Or maybe I just have bad luck)

Well that’s all I got so for, hope you enjoy. Check back often for more blog entries soon!! And of course pictures!

2 Comments:

  • Mahlzeit Katie!!

    Try beer with banana! A lot of people don't like it, but I really like it. Was years ago when I last drank it, though

    By Blogger Dominik, at 3:30 AM  

  • Hey Dom! Malhzeit!!

    I will let you know when I try the beer and banana juice.. I might just like it!

    By Blogger Katie Paterson, at 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home