Saturday, May 06, 2006

What am I Doing Here?

Okay so I have arrived in Hungary after a 8 hour flight, two bus trips and a metro trip. I am stying in s hostel far from the city centre...

I dont know what is with this place but they have never heard of toliet paper or a shower curtain.... man you know its bad when you get excited when there is toilet paper in the washroom!!!

On the same day I arrive another girl from Poland, Jolie, came and has been staying with me in my room. She has been here before and she has shown me the way and helped me get connected. I am hoping together we will be able to find a place to live but at the moment it looks doubtful. I will keep you informed. Sorry I have not written earlier but it has been hard to keep grounded. So many things have happen.

First night I went out to have a drink (I really needed it) with Jolie, 3 other polish girls and Iren, a girl from the IAESTE committee (She also has the same bday as me). Went to a nice outside bar had some beer and the hungarian liquor called Palinka.

So far the smart car count is...

Fortwo - 3
Forfour - 2

I have also seen two neons which surprised me. One look just like mine.

On my third day here I tried to buy a cellphone but quickly found out that to buy a actual phone you need to have a hungarian resident card but if I just wanted to buy a SIM card I could... Crazy system. The IAESTE committee has told me that they will be able to give me a phone and then I can buy the SIM card. Everyone has a cellphone here... I get the feeling I will need one if I want friends.

It took me about 5 hours to find an internet cafe thank goodness I bought that Lonely Planet Book. It has come in handy.

Well there is much more to say but I will leave it for now. Will post soon once work gets started.

2 Comments:

  • Viv,

    What is it about the toilet paper?? well it was nice to hear from you. Hope all is going well on the job hunt.

    By Blogger Katie Paterson, at 4:10 AM  

  • Mark, I can't believe you didn't tell me!! Well no worries I did manage to get a cell phone now :) an Ericsson T65, just in case you are curious.

    By Blogger Katie Paterson, at 4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home